After the second draft, my task was to merge it with the first draft. That wasn't a big issue, since I had that in mind while I was writing the second draft :)
The other request I got was to change the instrument that plays the main melody. So far I had been using a Synth Lead sound, but we came to the conclusion that a saxophone would be a better fit.
The problem was that I didn't have any sax-players around me who could record the melody track, and synth-saxes are only so-so when it comes to taking the lead part in a song...
The closest I had to a real saxophone was (a) AMG's Kick-Ass Brass, which by the way has become my absolute favorite Brass synthesizer, or (b) my Yamaha VL70-m sound-module.
Kick-Ass Brass sounds just awesome (as you can hear in the drafts already), but as a solo part it may be a bit weak. Well, partially probably because I don't have the skills (yet) to really bring it to life.
The VL70-m module is cool too, but I was afraid to use it for the main track for the same reasons: it may not sound convincing enough...
I decided to go with the Kick-Ass Brass solution, since it's using samples from real instruments as opposed to the VL70-m which is "merely" simulating instruments.
So here's the output. Draft number 3:
In addition to replacing the melody track with a saxophone, I also tweaked the intro a bit by adding brass tracks to build up some tension towards the main theme. That was a mistake as I saw from the reaction I received when I gave it to my bro haha!
... to be continued!