Thursday, November 5, 2009

CG Challenge - Secret Agent JAZZ! (part 5)

Time flies!

Life's been a bit hectic recently, and I didn't get to write this entry, which should have been up here like 2 months ago!

Anyways, so this is the last one in the CG Challenge Secret Agent series.

After having finished the tune, my brother asked me: "uh, we kind of need a tune for the making-of sequence. Can you put together something nice based on the main tune? Something jazzy would be cool :)"

Yeah, that's the kind of thing that tends to come towards the end of a project, right? 2 days until the deadline and we run into new ideas :)

So I sat down and slapped together a jazzy version of the main theme I composed. Here's the output:





Since there was no time, the drum pattern is a copy&paste job as is the walking bass. I just made sure that both drums and bass don't sound to synthetic, tweeking around with velocity values and adding dead notes etc.

The piano and guitar part is played in realtime, with some additional MIDI note adjustments and quantizing here and there, but I wanted to preserve an "organic" feel to the tune, so I tried to keep the recorded material as natural as possible.

The tune only needed to be a minute long, so you will notice the repetition in the second half (in the final video, the music fades out).

The guys were happy as was I, and we finally, finally made it!! Just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment