Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cinderella Overture

I created this one back in December last year. My brother was participating in a competition at CGSociety. The theme of the competition was Steampunk, and my brother chose the story of Cinderella as the base for his work.

While he was telling me about his concept, it gave me the idea to compose a soundtrack to his version of Cinderella. So I started working out my own concept for a possible "overture" pretending that the Steampunk Cinderella were a movie.

Here's the completed piece:




The piece consists of three sequences:

In the first sequence, the spectator would see a aerial panorama view of a beautiful castle and a small village just beneath it.

Second sequence: From the bird-view perspective, the camera quickly goes into street-level, showing the everyday life of the commoners.

In the third sequence, the camera ends up in Cinderella's house. Her theme is introduced and she is seen doing her work, dreaming of a better life...

This was my first real attempt to create a full-orchestra piece from scratch. I did a rough "sketch" with a single piano-track first so I would have a "wireframe" that would keep me from derailing too much from the initial ideas I had in mind. Then I went on to orchestrate everything, which was a lot of fun especially with the nice sounding software synthesizer I was using (Steinberg HALion Symphonic Orchestra. Definitely worth the money!)

Personally, I'm actually pretty happy with the outcome ;)

Hope you like it too!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,
    I've listened to this piece so many times and think it is simply brilliant, you've done a fantastic job.
    I'm currently directing a Cinderella play with an amateur theatre group consisting of school children and we were hoping we could use this piece as the overture please. If you would be OK with that, the children would be so pleased. Our play opens in 1 week and we aren't planning on making much money from it :)
    Looking forward to hearing back from you. Please reply as soon as possible ;-)

    ReplyDelete